Social media is one of the fastest changing industries out there. Its virtual nature allows it to quickly adapt to new trends, and new changes can be adopted immediately anywhere there’s Wifi. You never know when cutting-edge technology will instantly change the social game or when an old idea like virtual reality will gain viral popularity. At Riley & You we are watching the trends to make sure that your brand keeps trending.
- Social messaging – Messaging apps now have more users than social networks. Millennials prefer Over-the-top (OTT) messaging and SMS messaging to other forms of communication. They prefer text messaging to phone calls or emails, and your marketing will need to adapt. Sixty-two percent of millennials are more loyal to brands that engage them via those channels because they want the personal touch, transparency and collaboration that the one-on-one communication allows. By 2018 an estimated two billion users will be messaging through OTT apps.
- Chatbots – The rise of messaging apps has led to development of new technology. Chatbots are a conversational interface designed to simplify complex predefined tasks. When you talk to Siri, Allo or Alexa, you are interacting with a chatbot. They have human-like personalities and can have conversations with clients. Facebook and Slack use chatbots to communicate with customers, answer frequently-asked questions or to provide immediate information on a product or service.
- Fake news fights – Fake news is on the rise, and Google and Facebook are taking action to limit the damage. Google already announced that they will ban fake news sites from using its online advertising services. Facebook updated its Audience Network policy to ban advertising on sites with fake news and misleading or illegal content. They will also have staff actively looking for fake news and keeping it from trending.
- Content – Fake news is out, but authentic content is in, especially live video. Millennials expect visual content all the time. In 2016, 50 percent of marketers said they published content containing visuals between 91 and 100 percent of the time, an increase of 130 percent from 2015. Visual consistency is a key part of any brand, and original graphics, like the content we produce for our clients, get the most attention.
- Paid Posts – Algorithms are increasingly limiting the percentage of your own audience that sees your posts, which is why paid online advertising should be a part of your marketing budget. It is becoming increasingly difficult for your brand to be seen if you only publish organic social content. At Riley & You we believe that good content must have a purpose, be engaging and reflect your brand.
By the end of 2017, we will have a whole new list of trends to keep up with next year, but that’s our job. Let us be your social media team. We will follow the trends while you follow the business.
Stay Ahead Of The Curve With Social Media Trends
At Riley & You, we are constantly researching the path and potential of social media. We’ll make sure you are connected to your target market and keeping current with the rapidly expanding world of social media, so you can focus on your business. Call Riley & You today at 615-834-8085, or send us an email.